Sunday, October 17, 2010

My mom is freakin' out.

October 17, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

As the first post, I feel it is important to explain what being ten days away feels like. Well, I can no longer work, I don't have the patience for it, and my mom has got a list a mile long for me to do. I don't have the patience for that either.

When I got my call, I had four months to prepare for leaving. I squandered the first three and a half months, so two days ago I was forced to face the facts. My mom and I went out shopping for clothes, shoes, luggage, and other things. I recall hearing that a person needs less stuff for warmer places. The Philippines, is one of those warmer places, but no, I need mosquito nets, mosquito spray, towels that won't mold, a camera that won't rust, shoes that will breath, ten thousand short sleeve shirts, non silk ties (with the humidity the silk ties will bleed dye), chapstick with a 30% SPF rating, and tubes of sunscreen. With all that comes a long shopping day, and an even longerr number at the bottom of your receipt.  That number only adds to my mom's craziness.

I have started thinking of things as the "last time."  Like last night, the last time I will listen to "Stairway to Heaven" for two years.  Also last night, the last time I will be late for curfew and have my dad waiting at the front door for me. Today, the last time I have to sit through a boring church meeting...oh wait, uh, never mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment